Best Pie Crust
Why purchase a pie crust when this flaky crust can be made in a few moments at home, using ingredients that are readily available?
- 1¼ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg yolk-(save white for later use)
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
- Flour for surface and rolling pin
- Combine flour and salt into a *mixing bowl
- Cut butter into flour mixture to make a fine crumb using pastry cutter or 2 knives
- Add yolk and toss to mix. Add just enough ice water until dough just holds together (will be very loose ball)
- Lightly flour a surface and turn pie crust onto the surface
- Press dough together to form a ball. May refrigerate at this point or roll out crust into desired shape, adding flour to surface or pin as needed
Yield: 1-10 inch pie crust
Egg white, diluted with small amount of water, can be brushed onto pie crust if desired.
*Can also be made in a food processor.