Tarragon Chicken Pot Pie
1 Recipe for pie crust (see recipe for Best Pie Crust)
2 lb. cooked chopped chicken in bowl, set aside (approx. 4 chicken breasts or *1, 3lb chicken, bone in, cooked and meat removed)
2 cups boiling, salted water
1 ½ cup Carrots sliced ¼ inch thickness (approx. 4)
2 cup zucchini, sliced ¼ inch thickness (approx. 2 small)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 oz. (approx. 1 cup) chopped, yellow onion
5 tablespoons unbleached flour
1 can (14.5 oz.) canned chicken broth or 1 ¾ cups fresh chicken broth
1 cup whole cream -*can be substituted for lower fat milk if desired
¼ cup white wine or additional chicken broth
1 TBL dried tarragon
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
*I purchase a whole, bone in 3 lb. chicken and cook in water to yield 2 lb. chicken meat as well as fresh chicken stock/broth-see recipe for chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray 2 quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray; set aside
- Bring salted water to boil in 2 quart pot and add carrots to blanch 3 min. Add Zucchini to carrots and continue cooking 1 minute more. Drain and set aside
- Place butter in Dutch oven or large sauce pan and melt on med-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add flour to onion and butter, stirring constantly until flour cooks. About 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk in chicken broth, cream and white wine and cook until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Carefully stir in chicken, carrots, zucchini, tarragon, salt, and pepper to creamed mixture. Adjust seasoning if desired.
- Pour chicken pie filling into prepared pan
- *Top with pie crust (can be refrigerated at this point and baked later)
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until crust is browned slightly and filling hot and bubbly.
Yield: 6 servings
Serve with a fresh green or fruit salad on a cold winter night. Delicious!